Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The House of Hannover (one) : An Encounter with Sonic Vegetables

A grey beard, a hood to cover my head and the sickening illumination on the platform didn't do any good to my appearance: it was too severe. Arne, my host at Feinkostlampe, couldn't suppress a slight sense of fear that crawled over his face, when he saw me. When I arrived at the club I found out that it was not my resemblance to a prophet at the point to lay cities in ashes, that had impressed him: I looked exactly like Herr Ferdinand Lampe, the last proprietor of the grocery-shop Feinkost Lampe. A photograph on the wall in the kitchen was there to proove it. I looked at it in astonishment, and realised again that I needed a shave, badly. Then I took a pumpkin from a big pile, and tried to explain how west-africans make a ballophone.

The history of Feinkostlampe, the club, started when Arne, as a child, got saved from a future life as a thieve thanks to Ferdinand Lampe. Arne wanted to steal an apple, and Ferdinand saw it, ticked on the window and called the boy inside. The old man wasn't angry with the boy. He offered him a delivery-job on saturdays. Arne stayed for years. His job made it possible to finance his study. When time lay his heavy hand on the shoulders of Herr Lampe, Arne was offered to take over the shop. It took him a long time to decide. He liked the smell of the fresh vegetables, that mingled with that of wood and jute sacks filled with potatoes. It was a smell that came from the years before he was born, because Herr Lampe had never modernized his shop. But the young man didn't see himself selling cabages for the rest of his life; he heard music.

In comes Pahli, his girlfriend. The shop got redesigned: tables and christmaslights, easy chairs and chaisse-longues, the counter remained to serve as a bar, and also the name stayed the same. It would open every thursday. A bottle of beer will cost you one euro, and the programme is open to surprises. Pahli and Arne both work for local radio. Moreover Pahli belongs to a group of young writers, while Arne has learned to cook from Ferdinand's wife, Lotte.

The evening I performed I had pumpkin soup. And on a table was dough and extra sweeties. And the place was full. And they all smoked. Ugh. And the ladies were making cookies. And the next day I had breakfast. And the sun was out. And when I got back to Wuppertal the town was covered by christmassnow. And bells were ringing. And the salvation army was singing. And there was peace on earth and bratwurstsmell in the streets.




radio flora : www.radioflora.de

feinkost lampe : www.feinkostlampe.de

Organisation für angewandte Literatur : http://www.kopffuessler-produktionen.de
go to : oral bühne (in near future : www.oral-hannover.de)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home